Timberline Veterinary Emergency and Specialty

Timberline Veterinary Emergency
Seattle, WA 98125




What is a Specialist?



Veterinary specialists have undergone additional training after veterinary school.  The training usually involves a 3 year residency program that meets guidelines established by the registered specialty.  During the residency, specific caseload and training requirements must be met.  These requirements usually require research and publication in peer reviewed scientific journals.  To use the term “specialist,” the veterinarian must both complete the residency program and then successfully pass a rigorous examination. 

Veterinary specialists will have extra letters after their name that specify their board certification. For example, DACVECC stands for Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care and is used by veterinary specialists in emergency and critical care. People with this training are experts in treating life threatening conditions and in monitoring and treating animals who have intensive problems. For more information, see acvecc.org